domingo, 18 de marzo de 2012

Las Fallas in Valencia

Like a million other people on the 17th of March I headed to one of the biggest Catalan cities, Valencia, to participate in the annual festival – Las Fallas. It’s a celebration of fallas, massive dolls-constructions-kinda-thing which are later burnt.

First we went to see La Mascleta which I can only describe as a LOT of noise. Responsible for it were firecrackers, fireworks and some crazy pyrotechnicians. Firecrackers followed us all day long and – against all the health and safety rules - even children played with them. I held my breath anytime I saw a child exploding one. The party went on all day. There were parades with musicians, girls wearing gorgeous dresses and children with flowers. What will never cease to impress me in Spanish festivals is enthusiastic participation of the citizens: the elderly, little kids, teenagers – everyone gets involved. I don’t think I’ve seen such sense of community in any other place so far. 

The fiesta culminated in one of the best bonfires I have ever seen.
The fallas were actually really nice too, impressively creative. There were caricatures of   politicians, an Elvis, lots of animals…


And the city itself, at least the bit we managed to see, is pretty, spatial and palmy, just to my liking. 



It is definitely worth going there again to discover some more of this city – and to enjoy the beach which is supposed to be fantastic.

1 comentario: